History of St Matthew's

The building of St Matthew's was led by Canon AWM Christopher (1820-1913) during his 46 years (1859-1905) as Rector of St Aldate's church in the centre of Oxford. A history of the church can be downloaded here

There is a memorial in the church which names 66 men, from Grandpont, who died fighting the First World War. A south Oxford community research project has been completed, under the direction of Liz Woolley, into the lives of the 66 men. More information about the project can be found on the South Oxford Community Centre website.